Availability and special offers – FIND OUT MORE

syrencot wedding your wedding hero
syrencot wedding your wedding hero
Syrencot Glasshouse
syrencot wedding receptions guests
syrencot wedding your wedding the farmshed
syrencot wedding your wedding the farmshed

The legalities of planning a wedding in Salisbury

Are you planning on having your wedding in Salisbury? As one of the most popular wedding venues in Wiltshire, Syrencot has played host to countless magical marriage ceremonies for couples based both locally and nationwide.

As such, we would like to share our expertise on the legalities surrounding your marriage, whether you’re local to Salisbury or are planning to travel from further afield to get married here.

Planning a wedding in Salisbury

If you are planning a wedding in Salisbury and would like to know how to navigate the legalities of giving notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership and obtaining a marriage license, we’d like to help. In accordance with Wiltshire Council, both parties are required to give formal notice in person of your intention to marry or to form a civil partnership at a Registration Office in the district in which you currently live.

If you live in Wiltshire you can telephone 0300 003 4570 to book your appointment.

For couples who live close to Syrencot, our local Registration Office is:

Salisbury Registry Office, Bourne Hill, Salisbury, SP1 3UZ

However, if you live outside of Wiltshire, you will need to find a Registration Office close to where you live – not close to where you intend to get married.

You are legally required to have lived in your district for at least eight days before giving notice at your local Registration Office, so bear this in mind if you have any plans to relocate or if you aren’t currently living with your partner.

When to see the registrar to give notice

You cannot give notice more than 12 months before the date of your ceremony but you must give notice no later than 28 days before your ceremony.

As stated on wiltshire.gov.uk:

“The minimum period between giving notice and when a ceremony can take place is currently 28 clear days. The Schedule for marriage will be issued on day 29 after the date you give notice and will be valid for twelve months. It’s therefore a good idea to arrange to give your individual notices around six months before the date of your ceremony.

If one party is a foreign national you will both be required to give notice of your intention to marry or to form a civil partnership in the same district at the same time. This can be a district in which either of you live.”

In Wiltshire, recommendations state that you give notice around six months before your ceremony where possible.

Planning your wedding at Syrencot

If you’re searching for an intimate country wedding venue in Salisbury, Wiltshire, the team at Syrencot would love to hear from you. Syrencot is licensed for both indoor and outdoor garden weddings of up to 150 guests, making it a venue for all seasons. If you have any further questions around the legalities of getting married in Salisbury, our team would be happy to help.

Explore more from our blog

Your luxury rural retreat

Want to learn more about Syrencot? If you would like to speak with our team, please select one of the options below.